Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Now with Video!

So each year, one of my favorite newer thanksgiving traditions involves my friend Samantha and panicked phone calls. It started a few years back when she asked me for a from scratch recipe to make for her family. There was a voicemail I saved for years desperately asking about the difference between corn bread and corn muffins and that was all it took. We were both hooked. Eventually, I'll get her up to cooking the bird, but for this year, it is, by her request, gougeres.

And, since I have my shiny new camera, rather than just fabulous still pictures, I figured I'd help her out with a video demo, too.



The recipe is adapted from the French Laundry Cookbook, because that is what I served her when she had them, but you know, I think I still prefer a combination of milk and water rather than simply water. So my version would be like this:

.5 cup water
.5 cup milk
7 tablespoons (3½ ounces) unsalted butter
1 tablespoon kosher salt, or more to taste
Pinch of sugar
1¼ cups (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
4 to 5 large eggs
1¼ cups grated Gruyère (5 ounces) or cheddar, or cheddar and parmesan, or you know, cheese.

You'll have to find your own distractions while you wait for 10 minutes.

5 comments:

Brian Rogers said...

Hey, one of those puffs vanished while it was in the oven! Lower left hand corner of the tray! What happened? (and I don't think Julia Child would ever say "Oh $#!^" in her videos....

Anonymous said...

I love our tradition so much. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have been able to survive the last three Thanksgivings! Soon we will have to actually share the holiday together.

queenofsheba said...

Well, Julia left a spatula in a blender and then turned it on, so I'm sure she THOUGHT it.

Yeah, there was a test puff.

no one said...

I'm no expert on what people on the internet like to watch, but I enjoyed watching that.

Diane Gilleland said...

Bravo!! Not having any clue what gougeres are, I watched in awe. Must make now.

You got some mad skillz with that pastry bag!